[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
Tynsoe Projects • View topic - Animated Desktop

Animated Desktop

Animated Desktop

Postby edtheuniquegeek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm assuming that there is a way to animate the desktop with Geektool, yes?
I was browsing a collection of screenshots of custom made desktops made with Geektool and I found this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7889717@N06/4289396050/

Does anyone know how he may have done the animation? The only thing I can think of is with animated gifs.
edtheuniquegeek

Re: Animated Desktop

Postby ybizeul » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 am

I'm not sure GeekTool did this... Well unless this guys put a succession of pictures to provide animation effect, which would be a huge CPU hog... Do not try this at home :-)
ybizeul
Site Admin

Postby edtheuniquegeek » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah. I figured it would be a big resource hog...but it's still cool. :lol:
edtheuniquegeek

Postby drkmirror » Mon May 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Custom Screen Saver running on the desktop ?
drkmirror

Postby edtheuniquegeek » Thu May 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah. I guess I can see it being a screensaver turned wallpaper using something like Wallsaver (http://www.wallsaverapp.com/).
I would think this would be a resource hog also.
edtheuniquegeek

Postby raye » Tue May 25, 2010 7:04 pm

I think I found a way to animate the desktop with not too much system load.

Here is an example how to do an analog clock:
I made 60 images. For each minute one image to display an analog clock -> image1.png, image2.png,....image60.png
The idea is, that a python script executes a shell command to retrieve the minute of the current time and let's say it is 20:39 right now.
So the result of the shell script would be 39.

The python script now calculates which image should be displayed. In this case it is easy: image39.png for minute 39.
The script bufferes the name "image39.png" in a textfile, then renames the file "image39.png" to "current.png".
When it gets 20:40, the script re-renames "current.png" to the text from the buffer file (in this case image39.png) and now renames image40.png to current.png.
This geeklet is executed every 60 seconds.

So I have a folder with 60 images. And the file "current.png" does always contain the image of a minute hand of the current minute time.

Now the idea was to create an image geeklet that points to this folder to always display the file "current.png" and refresh this every 60 seconds.
And of course you have to repeat this steps for the hour hand and place these two image geeklets on top of each other.

Sounds quite complicated but it's not too hard to setup. All settings are made by 6 arguments that are send to this script and looks like this in a geeklet:
python /Users/raye/Geeklets/ImageRenamer/imagerenamer.py getMinutes.sh MinuteImages minutes 60 0 60
The arguments are
1. a shell script (in this case to retrieve the current minutes)
2. the name of the image folder where the images are stored
3. the base name of the image files
4. the number of images
5. the minimum value of the shell script result
6. the maximum value of the shell script result

With these settings it's possible to adopt this example to a tachometer that displays CPU usage.
Or some bars that display the fill level of the harddisk.
Or etc etc ...

Unfortunately GeekTools has this "pick random images" feature on local folders :-(
Now I'm asking you: is there a way to use a path to a local file in that way that GeekTools do not think of a local folder to supress the "pick random image" feature? I also tried file:/// instead of file:// but then the refresh does not work :-(
Otherwise I really would like to have a way to turn the "pick random image" feature off in a next release, maybe?
raye

Postby raye » Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey, it works!
I used file:///localhost/Users/raye/... which did not work.
So I tried file:///Users/raye/... and now the clock ticks ... :-)

I think I will create some nice geeklets and make a screencast of them.
raye

Return to GeekTool