[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
Tynsoe Projects • View topic - Dual Monitor Positioning Issues

Dual Monitor Positioning Issues

Dual Monitor Positioning Issues

Postby nathanmock1 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Hello:
I have configured my GeekTool to work on my MBP 15 1440x900 monitor however when hooking up to my 30' 2560x1600 monitor, the positioning gets jumbled. Currently I have my geektool geeklets on the outer corners of my 15' screen, if, when I plug in my MBP to my 30', I want to retain the same relative positioning, how would I accomplish this? I was thinking I could make two seperate sets of geeklets as groups (one for portable, one for plug in) and manually check/uncheck groups, but I would like a more elegant solution.

Thanks!
nathanmock1

Re: Dual Monitor Positioning Issues

Postby ybizeul » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Can you confirm that the geeklets are keeping their absolute position from the upper left main screen corner ?
ybizeul
Site Admin

Re: Dual Monitor Positioning Issues

Postby johndeese » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm

I have this same problem because I have a laptop but I plug in a large monitor to the laptop and use the large monitor as a main screen during the day. I wanted the geeklets to always be positioned on my laptop's screen. Actually, I even made wallpaper that designates zones for geeklets so this was particularly important for me. I don't know if there's an easier fix for this, but what I did was:

I made two sets of plists, one that is correct when only the little monitor is connected and one that is correct when the big monitor is connected.

I did this by actually setting everything to the position I wanted and saving the plists in a separate folder. e.g named 'one_mon' and then repeated for the two monitor setup and put in a folder called e.g. 'two_mon'

I wrote an applescript that (and I am a total applescript noob so it might not be the best option) that quits geektool, copies the plists from the subdirectory to ~/Library/Preferences/, and restarts geektool.

My only problem is that the geeklets don't show up automatically - for now I have to open geektools preferences after the applescript is run to get everything to refresh and show up. 'Refresh all' in the dropdown actually doesn't work in this case.

Until something like this gets built into geektool, I find the applescript solution works well. The large monitor resolution is so much bigger than my small monitor resolution that when I switched back from two monitors to one I would often not even be able to find many of my geeklets because they were off the screen.
johndeese

Return to GeekTool