[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
Tynsoe Projects • View topic - geeklet positions, names, and applescript 'delete' verb

geeklet positions, names, and applescript 'delete' verb

geeklet positions, names, and applescript 'delete' verb

Postby sbivacca » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:36 am

I ran into some minor issues with geeklet names, positions on the screen, and deleting them from applescript.

1. Geeklet positions
Sometimes the positions of some geeklets end up with a negative coordinate value, which makes the geeklet be off the screen and thus invisible, independent of whether the geeklet visibility property was actually set to invisible. I don't know how they ended up with negative coordinates, or if there is any usefulness for having negative screen position coordinates. If there isn't, then perhaps the geektool could handle any negative coordinate values as zero (or 1?), and of course store the 0 coordinate back into the appropriate plist file so that negative screen coordinates will not be stored.

2. Geeklet names
Apparently the name is not a unique index, so you can have multiple geeklets with the same name. Each would have a unique UID. One problem with having multiple geeklets with the same name is if you attempt to address the geeklet by name (instead of UID) from an applescript. I would suggest that the name field should also be declared as a unique index field so that duplicates aren't allowed. One implication from this is that any utilities that allow creation of new geeklets, (e.g. the preference panel, and the import capability into geektool) would have to handle the problem if a user attempts to store a geeklet which has the same name as an existing geeklet. One possibility is that the utility pops up a question asking the user if they want to overwrite the existing geeklet. Another is to have the utility just error out.

3. Applescript delete verb
Please add a "delete" verb to the applescript dictionary for geeklets. I had created an applescript that lists the geeklets on the system so I could find any that have duplicate names. I set it up so I could then delete the duplicates, but there's no delete verb available in the geeklet applescript dictionary. Of course one can usually delete geeklets via the preference panel, unless of course if the geeklet didn't get a negative screen coordinate which made it invisible.The screen coordinate is of course changeable via the plist file, and for that matter the geeklet can be deleted from there as well. But I would think that adding a delete verb to the geeklet applescript dictionary would be an easy solution (not that I'm familiar with adding applescript to an application, so I'm just guessing).

Well, these are minor issues as I said before, but I mention them so that hopefully fixes can be incorporated into Geektool in the future. BTW, GeekTool is a really nice tool. Thanks. :D

--steve
sbivacca

Re: geeklet positions, names, and applescript 'delete' verb

Postby ybizeul » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 pm

sbivacca wrote:I ran into some minor issues with geeklet names, positions on the screen, and deleting them from applescript.

1. Geeklet positions
Sometimes the positions of some geeklets end up with a negative coordinate value, which makes the geeklet be off the screen and thus invisible, independent of whether the geeklet visibility property was actually set to invisible. I don't know how they ended up with negative coordinates, or if there is any usefulness for having negative screen position coordinates. If there isn't, then perhaps the geektool could handle any negative coordinate values as zero (or 1?), and of course store the 0 coordinate back into the appropriate plist file so that negative screen coordinates will not be stored.

This is usually related to multiple monitor configuration. The upper left corner of your main screen being 0,0, any geeklet on the left of it, or on the top will have negative coordinates.
By the way, GeekTool should not *change* coordinates to be negative. Event if you plug, unplug a monitor, geeklets position is forced to stay that way, so that when the monitor comes back, geeklets previously placed on it will be visible again.
The down side of this behavior is that when you unplug a monitor, informations displayed on it by GeekTool will no longer be visible.

sbivacca wrote:2. Geeklet names
Apparently the name is not a unique index, so you can have multiple geeklets with the same name. Each would have a unique UID. One problem with having multiple geeklets with the same name is if you attempt to address the geeklet by name (instead of UID) from an applescript. I would suggest that the name field should also be declared as a unique index field so that duplicates aren't allowed. One implication from this is that any utilities that allow creation of new geeklets, (e.g. the preference panel, and the import capability into geektool) would have to handle the problem if a user attempts to store a geeklet which has the same name as an existing geeklet. One possibility is that the utility pops up a question asking the user if they want to overwrite the existing geeklet. Another is to have the utility just error out.

You're right
http://geektool3.tynsoe.org/issues/show/208

sbivacca wrote:3. Applescript delete verb
Please add a "delete" verb to the applescript dictionary for geeklets. I had created an applescript that lists the geeklets on the system so I could find any that have duplicate names. I set it up so I could then delete the duplicates, but there's no delete verb available in the geeklet applescript dictionary. Of course one can usually delete geeklets via the preference panel, unless of course if the geeklet didn't get a negative screen coordinate which made it invisible.The screen coordinate is of course changeable via the plist file, and for that matter the geeklet can be deleted from there as well. But I would think that adding a delete verb to the geeklet applescript dictionary would be an easy solution (not that I'm familiar with adding applescript to an application, so I'm just guessing).

OK : http://geektool3.tynsoe.org/issues/show/209

sbivacca wrote:Well, these are minor issues as I said before, but I mention them so that hopefully fixes can be incorporated into Geektool in the future. BTW, GeekTool is a really nice tool. Thanks. :D

--steve

You are doing the right thing.

Usually people think that things are obvious and do not take time to report to the developer their wish, and programs do not evolve.

Right now, GeekTool works for me, I expect not much more, maybe the Web geeklet but that's all. I'm always happy to improve the program with useful stuffs like the ones you mentioned, I can't guaranty you a timeline but thos are certainly the next things I'll be working on.

Thanks for your time and support.
ybizeul
Site Admin

Re: geeklet positions, names, and applescript 'delete' verb

Postby ybizeul » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 pm

delete verb has been added in the latest beta

http://update.tynsoe.org/geektool3/Beta ... latest.zip
ybizeul
Site Admin

Return to GeekTool