[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CET/1.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CET/1.0/no DST' instead
Tynsoe Projects • View topic - Simple set-up Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Simple set-up Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Simple set-up Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Postby Kelon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi
MacBook Pro Intel i7 clean install OSx 10.6.4. GeekTool 3 downloaded just now.

I've been messing about with various ToDo desktop widgets and decided they were all too fussy - even the 'simple' ones. And the main thing about them is that using the reveal desktop gesture (four fingers pushed away from one on the trackpad) hides these widgets too. Seems to me one of the best features of this (apart from, in theory, it's supreme simplicity) is being able to do a quick reveal of the desktop to see what the next task is.

However... having set it up, it refuses to update the desktop when I edit the txt file. Even enabling the menu item and using the drop down menu refresh fails to have any effect. Is this a Snow Leopard thing or.... have I missed something blindingly obvious?

------------------------------------------------
Also for info: When setting up I noticed that if I clicked on the desktop (GeekTool system preferences pane open) and back again, this seemed to prompt another entry of whatever was in the txt file. As in ending up with this...

Task 1 - to do some time
Task 2 - another to-do some time
Task 1 - to do some time
Task 1 - to do some time

Re-logging in sorted it out. Don't know if it's connected.
------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your help. This GeekTool could be really on the nail for what I want. Regards.
Kelon

Re: Simple set-up Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Postby ybizeul » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this, it may be a bug, but you are mis-using this geeklet.
Its purpose is to follow a file that have regular changes in it (changes that append data), what happens is when you re-enable the preference pane, it reloads the geeklet, which has the side effect to duplicate the last line.
What you want is the shell geeklet, with a simple command, you should be able to do what you want :

Just create a Shell geeklet with the command :
Code: Select all
cat somefile.txt

and set the refresh time to 10s for example.
ybizeul
Site Admin

Return to GeekTool